Saturday, January 24, 2009

TMAG


TMAG, the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, has had something of a serious facelift since I was a kid. It's now a very contemporary, lively and exciting place to visit. There was a stunning exhibition about Tasmania's indigenous people, the old faithful natural history section, but with some fresh new animal pelts for petting (see photo) and a fantastic and interactive Antarctic exhibit, complete with drawers full of taxidermied antarctic birds and a big slab of ice to touch! There is a scale model of Mawson's hut which I could've spent all day peering into. See bottom left image. Or better yet, go to TMAG and peer in yourself!



There is also a discovery centre for the kids, and its heart is in the right place, but I look forward to it receiving a bit more attention in coming years. There are some very exciting looking artist's models of future plans for the museum, so I think it's only going to get bigger and better. The museum shop is also new (to me, anyway!) and was a pleasure to browse through with some gorgeous books. The courtyard area to the side of the museum, near the Bond Store, is a lovely open area. It's just a great, easygoing place with a relaxed vibe and will become much more of a hangout as my son gets older.

Where: 40 Macquarie St, Hobart
Opening hours: 10am -5pm daily (excluding Christmas day, Anzac Day and Good Friday)

2 comments:

Penni Russon said...

I love TMAG for nostalgia reasons, and also because I like the mix of gallery and museum space. But it's not as kid friendly as it could be sadly, I hope they get there.

Next time I'm in Launie I want to go to their museum, the kid's area is amazing, I went to the cafe there with grown ups when i was doing that writer tour thingy, and we walked through all the interactive stuff (and had a play too). The building's gorgeous as well.

Zedd said...

Oh, cool, I'll have to remember that for when we eventually make a road trip north. I love an interactive kidzone!