Thursday, December 4, 2008

Kawasemi Japanese Tea House


I'm far from the first to blog about Kawasemi Japanese Tea House in Main Rd, Moonah, but according to the rules of this blog, it must go on the list.

We'd heard various raves about it for quality and value, so on my birthday we "splashed out" ($45 for three of us!!) on lunch there. The Bento Box, at $15, was a huge feed of excellent fresh sushi, tempura, miso, sashimi and other nibblies I don't know the Japanese names for. I also tried for the first time a truly excellent green tea, Genmaicha if I remember correctly, which consists of a mix of green tea and toasted rice grains, resulting in a gorgeous nutty sweetness that took away the faint bitterness I don't usually love about green tea proper. Delish! There was also a complimentary starter of a spicy noodle salad which took the edge off the appetite and allowed me to savour the Bento Box instead of rushing in like a hog at a trough.

Tucked away in Dickenson's Arcade, off Main Rd, this little restaurant is a great find for the budget-conscious yet discerning!

Where: 109 Main Rd, Moonah.

No comments: