Sunday, December 14, 2008

Royal Hobart Showground Sunday market


The Sunday market at the showground is a bit of a mixed bag. There are several second-hand dealers charging their optimistic second-hand prices, a few drop-ins trying to clear the house of junk, and a fair whack of kitsch (the bad kind!), tat and crap, including the widest range of awful skull-art tees I've ever seen. I'm mesmerized every time by the lolly stall chock with sherbet bottles, White Knights and many other sugary concoctions. It brings out the 10-y.o. in me, and she begs in ever-increasing tones for two bucks to spend! Most of the stuff is overpriced, but if you hunt and don't have high expectations, you can find a bargain still. It's populated mostly by slightly scary northern suburbs types (of which I am now one!) and can be a bit of a freak show, but for an entertaining Sunday outing, a mere 10 minutes walk along the Intercity Cycleway from Glenorchy centre, I think it rates OK.

Just a word on dagwood dogs. I made a mistake, alright? The first bite was kind of delicious in a greasy, nostalgic way, but by the end I knew that baby done a bad bad thing.

Where: Howard Rd, Glenorchy


(I got a novel, kids book, two cars and a Fisher Price Xylophone for $8.50 total. Not a bad haul!)

No comments: